Call us today 0845 094 1593

Request a Call back
Subscribe to our mailing list
Get a quick quote


Still can't find what you're looking for? Speak to us.

Q. How long will it take to get a interim certificate to satisfy CSH requirements?

A. We normally quote 4-6 weeks from date of official appointment, however if the need is there to have it back sooner we always endeavour where possible to complete within your specific timeframe.

Q. How long does and air tightness test take?

A. An air test can take between 1-2 hours once the building has been measured and effective prepared for testing.

However if the test results in failure it may take up to a day to put right or we may have to call again to retest.

At Melin we stay on site all day at no extra charge to offer expert advice if a failure does occur and discounted retest rates if we do have to call again.

Rest assured having tested over 1000 properties in the last few years we can count the amount of retests we have had to carry on another day on one hand. A service we at Melin are very proud to offer!

Q. Its not really in relation to anything in particular but can you give me some advice on ...

A. Of course we can, there is nothing our technicians, engineers and consultants like better than offering advice, we are more than happy to answer any questions and if one of us are struggling we will never give any misleading information we will just refer you to another member of the team who specialises in that field.

Q. What's your turnaround time?

A. SAP's and Residential EPC's are 5-7 working days. SBEM and Commercial EPC's are 7-10 day turn around. We endeavour to work within client time scales and make the process as smooth as possible. Speak with someone about your requirements here.

Q. How much extra will Code cost me?

A. Every development is different and we would struggle to give a definitive answer, Code will add to the cost of your building, however what we can do is meet to discuss your project in particular and gear your code assessment to suit your budget.

Q. Do you come to us or do we have to come to you?

A. We will always do whatever suits the client (you). We dont charge any extra for coming to see you, just make sure you put the kettle on! Or if you would rather come to us we have offices conveniently located in West Wales and Bristol with ample meeting rooms from 2 persons to 50 persons.

Q. I need to hold a design meeting for a new build house but I finish work at 5, is this going to be to late?

A. Not at all, we are happy to work evenings and weekends whether it be a meeting required or on site testing.

Q. I cant decide what LZC to install?

A. Here at melin we are not tied down by any manufacturers as we dont sell any of the products so the advice we offer is impartial and without bias, rather than being driven on price when giving advice we have the luxury of offering advice on what would be best for the site and for the occupiers, we look at the site and what technology best suits the site, for example if you have no south facing elevations it wouldnt be worth while in installing solar technology.


Q. What is an SBEM?

A. An SBEM is the Governments approved methodology for calculating the energy performance of buildings. It is used to demonstrate compliance with Building Regulations Part L requirements.

Q. When would an SBEM be required?

A. An SBEM is required at the design stage of the project and will be required for building regulation compliance.

Q. What information will be required in order to complete an SBEM?

A. In order to complete an SBEM we will require the following

  • A full set of drawings that include floor plans, elevations and sections and site plan
  • information on the preferred method of construction along with any information on insulation thicknesses
  • Information on the preferred heating system
  • Information on any renewables that are being considered

Q. Will you need to make a site inspection?

A. A site inspection will not be required, all calculations are carried out based on the drawings and information provided to us.

Q. Will an air test be required?

A. The requirement for an air test for commercial buildings is dependent upon the results of the SBEM and the floor area of the building. If the building is over 500m2 then an air test is required regardless of the results of the SBEM, however, if the building is under 500m2 then the requirement for the air test will be dependent upon the results of the SBEM calculation.

Q. My commercial building is being extended, will an SBEM be required?

A. If the extensions floor area is over 100m2 and over 25% of the existing building's floor area then an SBEM will be required, if this is not the case then an SBEM will not be required unless specifically required by building control.

Commercial EPCs

Q. What is an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

A. An EPC is a document which states the energy efficiency of a building. The EPC uses bandings from A to G to show the building rating, with A being the least polluting.

Q. When would a Commercial EPC be required?

A. A Commercial EPC will be required if the building is being sold, rented or being signed off by building control.

Q. Will you need to make a site inspection?

A. If the building is on construction and is due for completion then an EPC can be carried out from drawings and a site visit will not be required. If the building is existing then a site survey will be required, this can be arranged to suit your requirements.

Q. How long does an EPC certificate last?

A. The EPC will last for 10 years or until the building is modified or its use is changed substantially, in which case a new EPC would be required.

Q. Are any buildings exempt from the EPC requirement?

A. Yes, the following building types do not require an EPC
· Standalone premises with a total floor area less than 50 square metres
· Temporary buildings intended to be used for less than two years
· Places of worship
· Buildings marked for demolition

Sustainable Building Solutions
Responsive Websites by w3designs